Thursday, July 26, 2007

Technology We REALLY Don't Need - Take 1

I'm a guitar player, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think "air guitar" aficionados are sad, untalented losers who, instead of getting off their pimply butts and learning something about playing music, would rather pretend they're playing music. The fact that there's an "air guitar" championship just gives me cramps.

And now, we have this wonderful product - the Air Guitar Pro. Japanese toy manufacturer Takara Tomy has developed what they call a special "air guitar controller," essentially a plastic mock-up of the upper neck and head of a real guitar. The "player" presses chord buttons on its fretboard and then strums fingers across IR sensors in the neck, and it plays little noises simulating guitar chords. The Air Guitar Pro is available for around $22 and will likely never hit our shores. One can only hope.

Spokesperson for the World Air Guitar Competition, Bjorn Turoque (yes, folks, that's how it's pronounced) says that items like the Air Guitar Pro will not be allowed in the competitions, that they have "very strict rules" for the competitions. Yeah, I'm sure. God forbid they actually use a REAL guitar and actually PLAY something.

'Scuse me, while I kiss the sky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home